A Charlottesville historic district — once a blue collar company town producing wool cloth — has been added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
The area now known as the Woolen Mills Historic District got its start in 1829, when the first mill opened in the area. Factories in the area produced cloth for uniforms.
The first company-built housing was built in the area in 1847. The area continued as a company town until 1962, when the mill closed. Charlottesville annexed the area in 1968.